Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bookspotting: Week 22


This week I went to the immigration building to renew my work visa. While I was standing in line, I spotted two Kindles, one in a red cover and one in an orange cover with a light attached. I saw a man reading a book that I think was called Father Frank in a coffee shop nearby. I've been showing some visiting friends around Hong Kong this week, and one evening we took the iconic Peak Tram to see the city lights. As we were getting off I saw a girl carrying A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. We also went to neighboring Macau, pictured above, which is a former Portuguese colony turned gambling destination. I saw quite a few Lonely Planet guidebooks along the way. I spotted four Chinese books on the MTR during my regular commute this week.

Where do you usually spot readers? What are people reading around you this week?

2 comments:

  1. I was in a McDOnalds in Wan Chai (I know,I know... but sometimes those golden arches just beckon...) Anyway, a Chinese mother and toddler were in there looking at a dual language picture book, it was Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Match Girl.Also, a Chinese man was reading a hardback copy of a Jeffrey Archer novel in English and a girl was reading a Chinese fashion magazine Who'd have thought McDs would offer such rich pickings for a bookspotter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember disliking the Little Match Girl when I read it as a child. I didn't understand why it had to be so sad! I'm glad we are finding readers everywhere in HK.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...