Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bookspotting: Week 23


You can tell that it is summer in Hong Kong because the guidebooks have been multiplying. I've seen a total of four HK guidebooks around the city this week in the hands of visitors from all over the world. I saw a woman carrying Eat, Pray, Love on an escalator. I noticed a woman on the train reading a book that included diagrams of some sort of machine. I saw a man sitting at a table outside the hookah bar in my neighborhood reading a Kindle. I counted three Chinese books this week in the hands of various readers.

On Thursday I attended an event at The Pawn for Room to Read, a charity that promotes literacy and education in poor countries. They establish libraries, partner with local schools, and publish appropriate children's books in the local language to achieve their goals. They had several of the books on display, and I also saw a man standing against the wall of the pub reading a big paperback. The headliner of the event was Australian cricketer Shane Watson who spoke about cricket and about how his favorite book is Open: An Autobiography by Andre Agassi. He's the one in the pink shirt in this picture. 

Who is reading in your town this week? What are you seeing in the hands of readers when you're out and about?

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm going to have to keep my eyes open and look out for readers in my community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    I saw a pedestrian carrying a John Grisham paperback, but I couldn't read the title.

    Later, in the elevator, I heard a short exchange between a mother and son who obviously do a lot of book spotting themselves. The mother was telling him about a new YA novel she had seen someone else reading, but she couldn't remember the title.

    "Percy Jackson and the Olympians?" the boy asked.

    "It doesn't look like any of the ones we have at home."

    "What about The Last Olympian?"

    "Not that one. This one was purple."

    "Was it a 39 Clues book?"

    And then they arrived at their floor and stepped out of the elevator.

    If I were more brassy, I would have butted in with, "How about Septimus Heap?" =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley, when you start looking you'll be amazed at how many readers you see!

    Enbrethiliel, that sounds like the greatest conversation to overhear. My younger siblings have read the Percy Jackson books and they all love them. Thanks again for your comments :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know I'm following you now from the Literary Blog Directory. My blog is http://www.bookwormfamily.com/ if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend is reading Catch 22..it seems like a difficult read though so I am not sure if I want to read that.

    www.therouglipstickdiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, you are so observant! I was there with you at that event and I didn't even notice the man reading by the pub wall! I've only seen English tourist guide books on the streets this week. BUT...I joined the Hong Kong Public Library on Tuesday, so EVERYONE in there was reading....does that count?.. No, thought not!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...