Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bookspotting: Week 53


My mom left yesterday after a terrific week-and-a-bit in Hong Kong. We spent a lot of time doing touristy things, so I spotted quite a few people carrying Hong Kong guidebooks. The final total was two guidebooks in English and three in other languages (most likely Chinese). Throughout the week I passed three people walking down the Soho Escalator reading books whose titles I couldn't see. One cover was purple, one was dark grey and one was white. We spotted someone on the Lamma Island ferry reading Bossypants by Tina Fey. I saw a boy reading what looked like one of the Christopher Paolini books in the MTR. I picked up the new edition of The World of Suzie Wong at Swindon Books, and my mom was reading various things on her new Kindle Fire.

This week I'll be heading back to work after the holiday and getting back to my normal posting  schedule. You can look forward to more book reviews and walking tours of Stanley, Ngong Ping and various parts of Macau in the near future. Have you visited any interesting places this week? Spotted any interesting books?

4 comments:

  1. I saw someone reading Warriors don't cry at a PTO meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo of you and your mom. I love the lion dancers in the background! That's cool there's a new edition of Suzie Wong. That was all the rage in Hong Kong the year of the Handover. That and Jan Morris's Hong Kong.

    I continue to see the Stieg Larsson books everywhere, especially the paperback editions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! We were lucky arrive right as the lion dance started. It was the best one that I've seen so far.

      This is my first time reading Suzie Wong, and I'm really enjoying the way he captures the flavor of the city.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...