Monday, May 6, 2013

Duckspotting!

Sorry for the title, folks. I could not resist.

The buzz around Hong Kong this week is all about the floating rubber duck exhibit in Victoria Harbour. I took the Star Ferry to see it on Sunday...


When we pulled up to the dock, I could see the crowds.


They lined the harbor and the top of Ocean Terminal.


And the duck gazed down on them.


I'm not sure what to say about it. I like it. I've read that the installation is meant to promote camaraderie and good feelings. Despite the crowds packed in around me, I suppose I did feel good looking at the duck. No one was pushing or shoving, which is very unusual for this corner of Tsim Sha Tsui. My fellow gawkers seemed both bemused and cheered by the sight of the big floating toy in the harbor. 


When I made my home later that night, the crowds were just as big, and seemingly just as happy.


I'm not sure what to say about it, but I think the duck is worth a visit.

Have you been down to see the duck yet? Do you think it's cute? Gimmicky? Dumb? Inoffensive? Inspiring? How did it make you feel?

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I remember seeing photos of it from Osaka last year. I wasn't sure what it was all about then, but now I like it. My son Jake has to profile an artist for history class. I showed him the duck in Hong Kong and he was so intrigued that he chose Florentijn Hofman. When he told his teacher, she said she was thrilled that's who he'd chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    I think it's a gimmick, but a cute one. =) Unless I'm missing something, though, there doesn't seem to be a bigger message or sense of artistry that I've seen in other installations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wicked cool. The yellow duckie takes me back to my childhood. :O!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing this cute huge duck everywhere in the net! haha I must see it/him/her in person already! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...